Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Date: 02/08/2017 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
- Location: City-County Government Center, Rooms G and H
160 S. Macy Street
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
Michele Adams: Excused
Shauna Frohrip: 12-12:40 p.m.
Robert J. Giese: 12-12:40 p.m.
Nick Miofsky: 12-12:40 p.m.
Joe Sliper: Excused
John Teachout: 12-12:40 p.m.
Shannon Abler: Absent
Kim Mueller: Absent
Brad Sabel: 12-12:40 p.m.
Steve Weston: Excused
Also present were Rick Harshbarger, Rick Scheid, Bobbi Hicken and Lisa Freiberg.
1. Call meeting to order.
The meeting was called to order at 12 p.m. by Chair Erick Gerritson.
2. Moment of silence in honor of Rod Menne of the Eldorado Fire Department and alternate member of the Local
Emergency Planning Committee.
A moment of silence was held in honor of Rod Menne.
3. Introductions and roll call to establish a quorum.
Introductions were made.
4. Approve minutes of the November 9, 2016, meeting.
Motion (Giese/Frohrip) to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
5. Members of the public who wish to address the committee on specific agenda items must register their requests at
this time, with such comments subject to the reasonable control of the committee chair, as set forth in “Robert’s
Rules of Order.”
There was no public comment.
6. Presentation by Plant Manager Rick Harshbarger on Milk Specialties, including onsite chemicals and response to
Rick Harshbarger of Milk Specialties gave an overview of who they are and what products they make. He explained that many gallons of wastewater go to the city wastewater treatment plant.
Rick Scheid of Milk Specialties discussed the chemicals that are used at the plant and why they are needed. He talked about the regulatory requirements that they follow, which include reporting of spills. Employees are trained on chemicals and evacuation procedures. The fire department conducts inspections twice a year, and maintenance is always being done.
7. Review and approval of the Fond du Lac County Hazardous Materials Countywide Strategic Plan for 2017.
The strategic plan was discussed. The secretary should be listed as the office of the County Clerk, the airport address was corrected, and Terry Dietzel should be listed under Land Information. As of yesterday, Mercury has another site. Motion (Janke/Sabel) to approve the strategic plan. Motion carried.
8. Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act off-site reports.
Bobbi Hicken presented the reports. There are 52 planning sites and 122 reporting sites.
9. HazMat spill reports.
Ms. Hicken presented a report showing spills from 2010-2016. There was a spill in Waupun on Monday night,
which will be included in the next report.
10. Current status of grants.
A grant for the HazMat team was submitted.
11. Local Emergency Planning Committee reappointments.
There was an update on reappointments, as the term is ending.
12. Subcommittee reports.
a. There was no update from the Training, Information and Education Subcommittee.
b. There was no update from the Off-site Planning Subcommittee.
13. Future agenda items and meeting dates.
The next meeting is at 12 p.m. on May 10 in Rooms G and H of the City-County Government Center.
Motion (Mittelstadt-Lock/Frohrip) to adjourn the meeting at 12:40 p.m. Motion carried.
Lisa Freiberg, Fond du Lac County Clerk