Public Safety Committee
- Date: 03/06/2017 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
- Location: City-County Government Center, Room H
160 S. Macy Street
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
Martin E. Schroeder: 4:33-5:28 p.m.
Dean P. Will: Excused
Also present were Bobbi Hicken and Dr. Kelley.
1. Call meeting to order.
Chair Martin E. Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:33 p.m.
A moment of silence was held in remembrance of Paul T. Levandowski.
2. Approve minutes of the February 7, 2017, meeting.
Motion (G. Will/Simon) to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
3. Members of the public who wish to address the committee on specific agenda items must register their requests at this time, with such comments subject to the reasonable control of the committee chair, as set forth in “Robert’s Rules of Order.”
There was no public comment.
4. Department and annual reports from Communications & Emergency Management.
Bobbi Hicken presented the department and annual reports. A Dispatch Center open house is scheduled for April 12. One dispatcher trainee quit, leaving the department two staff members short. A fully staffed department would be 23 dispatchers. Severe Weather Awareness Week is April 17-21. There will be a simulated tornado warning in the afternoon and again in the evening. A weather spotter training class will be offered at 6:30 p.m. on March 23. There is a municipal emergency management director meeting at 6:30 p.m. on March 15. Motion (Simon/G. Will) to receive the reports and place on file. Motion carried.
5. Department report from the Medical Examiner’s Office.
Dr. Kelley presented the department report. The caseload is up from last year. So far this year, there have been no accidental deaths. Dr. Kelley has researched statistics regarding elderly deaths and injuries due to such things as falls. He will give a more detailed report at his next meeting. Dr. Kelley is involved in a suicide awareness program at Marian University. There have been no drug overdoses this year; there were three a year ago at this time. This may be due in part to good policing and a major drug bust in the Fox River area. Dr. Kelley will discuss the annual report at his next meeting. Motion (G. Will/Simon) to receive the report and place on file. Motion carried.
6. Future agenda items and meeting date.
The next meeting is at 4:30 p.m. on April 3 in Room H of the Government Center with the Sheriff’s and District Attorney’s offices reporting. There will also be a tour of the jail.
Motion (Simon/Schroeder) to adjourn the meeting at 5:28 p.m. Motion carried.
Robert J. Simon