DOCUMENT RECORDING REQUIREMENTS
- Wisconsin Statute 59.43(2m) requirements include 3” by 3” blank space in upper right hand corner, minimum ½” margins at the top of each page, minimum ¼” margins on sides and bottom of first page, white, standard 20# weight paper, standard letter or legal sized pages, and no hinged pages.
- A return name and address must be entered on the document either under the recording area on the right or else on the upper left corner under the space for the document number. Sec. 59.43(2m)(a)4, Stats.
- The name of the individual who drafted the instrument is required. Sec. 59.43(5), Stats.
- The document must be legible and reproducible. Sec. 59.43(2m)4, Stats.
- Documents that contain the social security number of an individual may not be recorded. Sec. 59.43(1m)(a), Stats.
- Documents pertaining to real estate require the legal description of the property. Sec. 706.05(2m)(a) as defined in 66.0217(1)(c), Stats.
- An electronic real estate transfer return (eRETR) is required for any conveyance of real estate. It must be filed electronically on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website https://ww2.revenue.wi.gov/GenericFile/application?interview=1127322.
The eRETR receipt and any applicable transfer fee must accompany the document intended to be recorded.
- Original signatures are required. Sec. 706.05(2)(b) Stats.
- An attorney’s authentication or notary’s certificate of acknowledgment with written notary signature/ electronic signature and valid commission date are required. Sec. 706.06, Stats; Sec. 137.01, Stats.
- Recording fees are as follows:
- Standard real estate document: $30.00.
- All Subdivision, Condominium and Cemetery Plats: $50.00
- Transportation Project Plats: $25.00.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list of recording requirements for all types of documents, rather a guide to the most common requirements for recorded instruments. Specific questions regarding document recording should be directed to the Fond du Lac County Register of Deeds Office at (920) 929-3018.