* Birth Certificate Notice *
If you were born in the state of Wisconsin, you can now obtain your birth certificate from any Register of Deeds office in Wisconsin.
Obtain your record from the county nearest to your location.
The Register of Deeds Office maintains and issues birth, death, marriage, divorce and domestic partnership records.
WHO MAY OBTAIN A VITAL RECORD
A certified copy of a vital record is only available to those with a "direct and tangible interest." The guidelines are as follows:
- The person named on the record.
- A member of the immediate family of the person named on the record (i.e. parent, current spouse, sibling, grandparent, child).
- The legal custodian or guardian of the person named on the record.
- A representative authorized, in writing, by one of the above listed parties. A written and notarized authorization must accompany this applicant's request.
- A person that can demonstrate the information from the record is necessary for the determination or protection of a personal or property right; proof is required.
Requests for certified copies require proof of identification. Applicant's original ID is required for in-person applications. A photocopy of the applicant's ID is required for mail applications. Expired cards or documents will not be accepted.
Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:
ONE OF THESE:
State issued driver's license or ID card
US Government issued photo ID
US or Foreign passport
Tribal or Military ID card
TWO OF THESE:
Current, dated, signed lease
Health insurance card
Utility bill or traffic ticket
The fee schedule for a certified copy is:
Birth Certificate - $20.00
Death Certificate - $20.00
Marriage Certificate - $20.00
Divorce Certificate - $20.00
Domestic Partnership Records - $20.00
A charge of $3.00 is required for each additional copy of the same record issued at the same time.
HOW TO REQUEST A VITAL RECORD
- In-Person Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered in-person by visiting our office at 160 S Macy St, Fond du Lac, WI 54935. Application forms may be completed prior to your visit (see FORMS below). Identification is required.
- Payment Methods: Cash, credit card or debit card, cashier's check or money order only.
- Mail Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered with a request / completed application form (see FORMS below) mailed to: Fond du Lac County Register of Deeds, PO Box 509, Fond du Lac, WI 54936. A photocopy of identification is required.
- Payment Methods: Cash, cashier's check or money order only.
- Online Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered online using VitalChek. Additional processing fees will apply to orders made online. After placing your order, you will be required to submit identification along with your signature in order to complete your request.
- Payment Methods: Credit card or debit card.
- Application for Birth Certificate
- Application for Death Certificate
- Application for Marriage Certificate
- Application for Divorce Certificate
Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Vital Records
Phone number: 608-266-1371 – voice mail system